Opportunities for Involvement
At SWCHC, volunteers play an integral role. They provide clinical care as well as non-clinical support, including: intake, data entry, office assistance, interpretation, meal preparation and help with clinic projects. The skills and generosity of spirit of our volunteers makes it possible for SW Community Health Center to provide quality health services to the uninsured. Currently, SWCHC has an active pool of 250 volunteers who provide an average of 503 hours of service to the clinic per month.
Current Volunteer Needs:
- Physicians/Nurse Practitioners: available to provide clinical care, with an emphasis on chronic disease management, at an evening or future weekend clinic.
- Nurses: available to volunteer at an evening clinic or assist with administrative and/or follow-up care during non-clinic hours.
- Patient Intake: volunteers interested in patient intake provide check-in of clinic patients, answer phones, make follow-up appointments and collect fees at SWCHC’s weekly clinics. Volunteers must be available for full clinic shifts and arrive one half hour prior to the beginning of their assigned clinic.
- Food Volunteers: Prepare/purchase and deliver an evening meal to our volunteers (6 to 10 volunteers) on clinic evenings.
- Office Volunteer: During office hours 10:00 to 4:00 pm. Retrieving patient messages, reminder calls, answering the phone, clerical work, filing patient charts, updating materials and helping to prepare for clinics.
- All volunteers must complete SWCHC’s Volunteer Application. Download application here.
- Licensed professional volunteers (MDs, RNs, LPNs and NPs) as well as certified medical assistants must also be credentialed either through Multnomah County or Washington County, depending on the location where they volunteer. Approved volunteers are protected by the provisions of the Oregon Tort Claims Act, the same indemnification coverage provided to County employees.
Volunteers at SWCHC- Portland Clinic should complete:
- We request that all volunteers make a minimum 6 month commitment to SWCHC to assure continuity of care and service.
Send all completed applications to:
SW Community Health Center
7754 SW Capitol Highway
Portland, OR 97219
Beth Rodgers, Volunteer Coordinator
503 977 0733
SWCHC receives more volunteer interest than we can accommodate. If we do not currently have a position that fits your interest, please check back with us, and thank you for your interest in SWCHC.